Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Almond Milk

My son for about the first year of his life did not take well to milk.

We found two alternatives: rice milk and almond milk.

I have to say that 2 1/2 years later, our whole family drinks almond milk!! We love it! The problem I have is that it is sooo expensive, especially since inflation has hit my area pretty hard.

So what's a girl to do? Well, I am going to attempt to MAKE IT!! Will you guys join me on this little journey?

This is what you will need:

1 cup raw almonds
2 cups water (filtered)
3-4 pitted dates
Vanilla (optional)
Soak almonds in water overnight..or at least 8 hours.

After soaking, drain water and rinse almonds in clean water, drain. Throw in the blender with 3 cups water. Add 3-4 dates (make sure the pit is out!). Blend.

Get a large bowl and some cheesecloth or a nut milk bag. Pour the milk in the bag and squeeze slowly until all the milk has been filtered. What will be left in the bag will be the almond pulp which can be used for baking. Put it in a freezer bag and use when you are ready (can be used in place of some flour). You can add vanilla to taste if you would like.

If you do not have a powerful blender like a Vitamix, you might want to blend your almonds in batches.Also, if you don't have cheesecloth or a nut milk bag, you can always use a nice linen napkin...I've seen that done before.

There are many benefits to almond milk..and it's yummy and gluten free!! I will post the pictures and let you know how mine turned out...I would LOVE to hear how you guys all do!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment