Thursday, March 17, 2011

Maintaining a Clean Home for the Tidy Freak

This is an oldie but goodie...from my last blog...but it still works for me!!


Soo...... I don't know about you, but I really like to have a clean home. I'm pretty retentive when it comes to getting my house in order; but now that I am a Mother, I have learned that things can't ALWAYS be totally perfect.
I wanted to write about maintaining a clean home for the "tidy freaks" out there like me. I have gotten advice over the years on what works best for a clean home. I found that learning things from all the advice I got and spinning it to fit my taste seems to work the best. It has been suggested to me to clean my house every day. Not top to bottom everyday, save the mopping and dusting for Saturday. If you clean the whole house, you won't have much to do in the home, so it will be easy. THAT will not work for me!!! I have this terrible compulsion that when I clean a room , I need to CLEAN A ROOM. If I put something away in my drawers and they are not tidy, I take the time to get those drawers in order. I'm not totally out of hand, it's not like I do the windows and walls :)
This is my cleaning schedule for the week. I like it because even though it seems haphazard, it really works with me and keeps me from being overwhelmed. I can play catch up if I need to if errands were ran on a certain day...and I also let a little bit of my tidy freakiness "go" as well.
Monday:
Kitchen- Wipe up counter tops and table. Vacuum. Keep up on dishes all day.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Make beds and tidy up clutter. Vacuum.
Living Room- Clean from top to bottom.
Tuesday:
Kitchen- Clean from top to bottom.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Make beds and tidy up clutter. Vacuum.
Living Room- Tidy up clutter, vacuum.
Wednesday:
Kitchen- Wipe up counter tops and table. Vacuum. Keep up on dishes all day.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Make beds and tidy up clutter. Vacuum.
Living Room- Tidy up clutter, vacuum.
Wash all windows.
Thursday:
Kitchen- Wipe up counter tops and table. Vacuum. Keep up on dishes all day.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Clean from top to bottom including washing linens.
Living Room- Tidy up clutter, vacuum.
Friday:
Kitchen- Wipe up counter tops and table. Vacuum. Keep up on dishes all day.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Make beds and tidy up clutter. Vacuum.
Living Room- Tidy up clutter, vacuum.
Any other room or need to take care of, if no other rooms or needs, take the rest of the afternoon off!!
Saturday:
Kitchen- Wipe up counter tops and table. Vacuum. Keep up on dishes all day.
Bathroom- Clean from top to bottom except floors, mop when needed.
Rooms- Make beds and tidy up clutter. Vacuum.
Living Room- Tidy up clutter, vacuum.
Any other room or need- take care of, in no other rooms or needs, take the rest of the afternoon off!!
Sunday:
OFF!!!! The only thing I try to do is the dishes, which are minimal....we're pretty relaxed here on Sunday and then tidy up a little. I truly enjoy my day of rest!
As you can see, I chose to pick one room besides the bathroom to clean top to bottom once a week. That way I can really get the result I want when I take the time to do each room. Fridays and Saturdays I would use to clean the refrigerator, clean the oven, de-clutter projects. Monthly duties that you need to maintain work well for the Fridays and Saturdays. This seems strange to say, but I can tell you I get my cleaning and organizing done every day by at least Noon :) How you say? Tackling it the way it's planned out DOES make it easier to maintain. There is wisdom in saying cleaning your house everyday makes it easier. I have two children 2 and under and I can manage.
Keep in mind my home is smaller. If you have a bigger home and the list seems to hard to keep up, arrange the list to suit what you can do. Some women work and their time is limited to what they can do. I assure you, even a working woman can accomplish this task!!
I do laundry as soon as I can wash a load. I cannot wait to do laundry once or twice a week, it's too hard for me and by the time I could do it, I'm overwhelmed. I try and stay on top of it as much as I can. I plan my meals for the month so I am not standing at the fridge wondering what I am going to fix. That also relives my stress level.
There are things that I did not mention on the list that need to be done more than on a monthly basis, but you get the gist of it. Cleaning the sink in the kitchen is one of them, among many others I can name. Just get the mindset that when you see a need, tackle it while it's small so it won't become bigger later.
Whew! I hope this helps. I would not commit to this list, or your own for that matter and then beat yourself up over not being able to get it perfect. Us perfectionists need to let it go!!! ;) Sickness happens, things come up, special projects or much needed visits are and should be welcomed. Keep that in mind. You should rule the list, the list should not rule you.
Good luck!!
Season


2 comments:

  1. I was under the illusion that "if I was a stay at home mom, my house would be clean all the time". WRONG! Home for 3 months now and it still isn't clean! I'm still trying to get a routine that fits in spinning/knitting, homeschooling, cleaning, playing with kids and playing with hubby! Your post will help! Thanks, Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim! We are all unique and are needs are all over the map, be encouraged! You are doing great :)

    ReplyDelete