Sunday, May 29, 2011

What's With The Hype About Death?

My Grandma just died the other day and it has been a sad time for my family.

When you lose a family member or friend, it's normally not a joyous occasion. Either a tragedy took them or you saw them slowly decline into death. Both are no fun and just a reminder to us that the length of our time here truly is not known. That is the final curtain, no last chance...your time is your appointed time.

There is a spiritual side to death, however; and that is at times opposite to sadness. When you put your hope and trust in Jesus Christ, death is not the end..it's just the beginning! When you close your eyes for the last time and enter into eternity, your friends and family can take comfort knowing they will see you again. I'd say the experience would be more bitter-sweet. There are those that think when you die, you go into the ground and are no more. I think that is sad and steals the glory away from an Almighty God. He made heaven and earth..the sea...and all that dwells in them..why would you just go into the ground and rot? Is this life just mere physical and not spiritual? Can't your body be buried and your spirit still live? Let me expound on this for a moment.

There is such a draw toward the Macabre. People watch zombie movies, horror flicks, slasher films, read gory books, collect morbid toys and oddities, chase "ghosts", get their tarot cards read, have diviners read their palms, embrace all sorts of "muse spirits".. the list is endless. These mentioned all are dark..not in any way glorifying to God (I guess whomever is reading this might beg to differ and I would love to chat in private about that). I wonder sometimes how many people who embrace these things refuse to admit there is a God. The Bible says God is a Spirit. If there is a "dark" side of the supernatural, why wouldn't there be an opposite side? It's hard for me to comprehend someone refusing to see both sides. I see both. I see the hand of God working and the hand of the enemy as well. I have experienced creepy encounters that have made my hair stand up on end and scare me for days. But I have also seen the Spirit of God working in believers and the transformation that has occurred with His followers. I have felt the peace of God in times so trying I thought I would never get through it. It's easy to see both sides. Logically is just makes sense. That being said...let's talk about the obsession with dark things.

Why are people so drawn to death? Why is it treated at times as funny or shrugged off as not a big deal? Death is romanticized, celebrated...but when someone you loves dies, it's not very funny, is it? Especially if they were murdered and had gone through horrific circumstances.Yet gore films and demon-possessed shows are among the most popular of movies. I am sure people will tell me to "lighten up" , it's just entertainment. Entertainment? You think serial killing, raping, murdering, violence and worse...is....entertaining? I don't think we should live our lives immune to such violence and sadism. People chuckle at someone getting slashed or a zombie eating someone's brains....do we really live in a society that has lost all decency and propriety? Where do we draw the line on what is considered art or entertainment? You hear Christians being accused of "child abuse" teaching their children morals and to fear the Living God...which one seems more like abuse to you? Someone told me he saw toddlers with their parents watching "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". And I am considered dangerous because I will teach my children to love their enemies?

It reminds me of 2 Timothy 3:1-4, "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, truce breakers, false accusers, incontinent,  fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God.." I could probably name a movie that covers each of those listed above, but I am sure you can figure that one out yourself ;)

When my Brother was tragically killed by an automobile, I assure you, it was NO laughing matter when I walked into the hospital room and saw his lifeless body on the exam table. My heart felt anguish that I had never known at 15. Death is NOT funny. You grieve for those that have lost their lives, why can't we bring back respect and honor for life? Losing someone dear to me I guess has changed my perspective. Not only that, I am a Christian. I used to not even have discernment in what I watched and admit I have seen movies I should have never laid my eyes upon. Death is a reality, so I am not going to separate real with fake. If I wouldn't want to see it in real life, I am not going to do it with entertainment of any kind. I used to think I WAS a Christian, but didn't even know I was lost until I was about 22. That my friends... is another blog for another time. Fast forward to now and I pray my walk is consistent with my talk. I want to remain consistent and have a clear conscience before God. I do not want to put my eyes on any unclean thing, especially death wrapped in silver lining.

When death is treated lightly and it's not considered the enemy that it is, we lose out on a major pillar of the gospel. Jesus was crucified for our sins and then rose on the third day DEFEATING DEATH! Because of this, we can say "O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?" - 1 Corinthians 15:55. We can also say "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:4

If you're up for a challenge...try and think about what you are reading, watching, thinking....and compare it to the light of The Word, The Bible. Is it profitable? It is pure? If you think I am a weirdo..lol that's okay too. I hope these words will resonate on your heart too and you will remember this when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment