Friday, June 8, 2012

I'm Ok ..You're Ok....Whatevs....

I remember in High School I took a class that taught me the whole "I'm Okay, You're Okay" deal. I found it a bit interesting.

School was such a bore for me. I didn't really try...didn't care. It's not that it was hard for me, when I applied myself, I was able to make high honor roll. Problem is...I never did. I graduated early and took work/home release. So in the haze of a few interesting classes here and there, I don't remember much about actual school.

It made sense to me at the time, this "I'm Okay" thing. But now, almost 20 years later...I cringe at that teaching.

No one is really okay....without God. God reminds me of who I am...then gives me the grace to treat others with love and compassion. Because I am honest with myself, I am able to give grace to others. If I thought I was okay, I might not be forgiving, or very understanding. God's love was so great, He was willing to end the life of His own for me. That's real love. It doesn't end there, though. God can also show me where I am deficient and lovingly lead me away from bad habits and defensiveness. He speaks truth to my heart....and it's not always what I want to hear. I am not always right in every circumstance.

My hope for my son's futures is to teach them to love...truly love one another. Not the fake....everyone is wonderful and no matter what you do you are still wonderful kind of love. More like....love is a choice. You push through the hard times. You don't listen to the majority. You do not let the opinions of others determine your choices. Sometimes love is telling someone they need to grow up..to say you are sorry and move on with it. To be honest with what you see.Yes, that kind of love sounds better.


No comments:

Post a Comment